1. He is the only person in NBA history to win MVP as a player, coach of the year, and executive of the year. Larry’s passion for the game definitely shows because he has been around all aspects of the game!
2. Joe, Larry’s dad committed suicide a year after having a divorce with his wife (Georgia)
3. In his first NBA game he was able to gather up a double double, and triple nickel. He had 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists. Larry’s dominance was displayed in the NBA right away
4. Larry Bird playing against Magic Johnson is one of the most famous rivalries and match ups to this day
5. Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Larry Bird are the only 3 players to ever win the regular season MVP 3 times in a row
6. Larry has appeared in 3 movies: Blue Chips, Celtics Pride, and Space Jam
7. Late in a tied game against the Seattle SuperSonics, Bird told the Seattle forward Xavier McDaniel, who was guarding him, “I’m going to get the ball right here and I am going to bury it in your face.” McDaniel’s responded by saying, “I know, I’ll be waiting.” After a timeout, Bird made baseline cuts, then posted in the exact spot he had indicated to McDaniel, paused, turned, and made it in his face. This is one of the many examples that show Bird’s competitive nature and trash talk that he did on the court
8. Bird described being poor growing up as very motivational. His mom had to work 2 jobs just to support Larry and his 5 other siblings that he had
9. He is the team president for the Indiana Pacers. He was born in, and played highschool and college basketball in Indiana, so it works out that he had the chance to coach the Pacers, and now be a part of their front office
10. Larry is known to be one of the most clutch players of all time. Once Michael Jordan was asked who he would choose to take a shot with the game on the line besides himself, and without hesitation he said Larry Bird.